Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Tuesday Night~~
Mermaids are intense. Mermaids are mysterious. Mermaids, when wounded, go deep, deep, into the darkest caverns, the coldest depths, until they can gasp a breath, can curl their tails around a sunken stone, and speak.
How did i know, when i started to write, that i was a mermaid? I didn't know my properties, didn't know the lore, but, as i write, as i become, i know in my heart that i was one all along.
People visit the sea. They hear the siren call, but, chose not to visit, to taste, to dream. I know i have friends like that, those that chose to taste, not swallow.
And then there are those that taste the mermaid menu, that swallow, slowly, thoughtfully, those that i give the spice, the scent, the desire for the unusual, the intriguing, those that want the sunrise, the sunset, and damn the mundane inbetween.
Did you see the movie "Splash"? When she was left loveless, without her land-locked lover, she became pale, and her scales flaked, and her lips were white.
I am that mermaid....yet, through parched lips, and lifeless tail, I survive. I have the audacity to survive, and flurish, nonetheless.
The veins that drawn and take my blood, i unerringly map to those that need it, as i need them. I am a survivor. That is my swansong, that is my apology, that is my debut.
I am prepping Thanksgiving dinner tonight, listening to Jill Scott, thinking about the Golden Gate Bridge, thinking about pink tulips, seeing Rikk's mouth, remembering all those i love, have loved, and focusing it on the meal i will take to jersey for thanksgiving. I have come back up from the deep. I am a mermaid, swimming, swimmming, blowing bubbles, laughing, weeping, salty tears, into the deep. Later.

2 comments:

Rachael Byrnes said...

I recently wrote a song called "Deep Blue" about being in deep blue water. I wasn't sure what it was about when I was writing it but it's definitely feels like a siren. Maybe I'm a mermaid too. What does this mean exactly.... to be a mermaid? My blog is www.lessismoreblog@blogspot.com

Lisa said...

Mrs Provo...It took me some time to reply...but, i hope i helped tell you what i think a mermaid is....and, your song sounds so intriquing.......