Saturday, July 30, 2005

I really hated social column 20. It is like dry toast stuck in my throat. But, it is my child, after all, so after ignoring it's existance for a week, here it is~~Social Column 20

This week my travels took me to Snow Hill, and I found it fitting that the town's sign was nestled in a field of wildflowers. Snow Hill has three hundred years of history under it's belt, much of it directly related to the Pocomoke River, meandering next to it. In yesteryears, three-mastered schooners brought freight and passengers, followed by steamboats and barges. Today, it is a favored spot for boat and canoe travel. In the town proper, right next to the white drawbridge, you can rent canoes or kayaks from The Pocomoke River Canoe Company. For the less adventurous, there are two riverside parks, Sturgis Memorial and Byrd Park. Sturgis has a covered Pavilion, and once a month features Dancing Under the Stars, hosted by local service organizations. ( The next one is August 19th). You can also tour the river from Sturgis Park on The Miss Rai, a local riverboat.
Walking the historic downtown, with it's warm red brick buildings, I couldn't help but notice the emphasis on art in the community. Bishop's Stock, opened in 2003 by Worcester County natives Ann and Randy Coates, showcases and supports both established and emerging local artists in their Green Street Gallery. They also host "First Friday's" each month, from 5-8pm., to showcase featured artists and exhibits.
My hunch is that Snow Hill is going to blossom as a working artist's community, with many unique, creative businesses gracing it's lovely downtown. I ate lunch at one such place, The Courthouse Cafe. Decorated in a funky, upscale style, the food was just as different and delicious. Sadly, the owner is going on to other things, and the restaurant is "hanging up it's potholders" on July 29th. (Watch for a new restaurant opening in September.)
Snow Hill boasts over a hundred historically valuable homes. These places are gorgeous! I cheated, and drove Washington, Federal and Market streets, but I want to walk them in the fall, when it's not so hot. Grab the brochure titled "Historic Walking Tour" if you go, because it lists the history of over fifty of the homes you will see. Take the time to visit The Julia Purnell Museum, too. Located in a former church building, it was created in the 1940's by William Purnell honoring his mother who lived from 1843-1943. It is chockfull of articles dating from the Colonial Period to the late 19th century.
As I headed back home my eye was caught by a Gothic Revival style home that is now a B&B called The River House Inn. Innkeepers Susanne and Larry Knudsen allowed me to wander at will, and I was impressed. It is nestled along the river, with cottages as well as rooms in the antique decorated main house. I can't wait for the opportunity for a weekend getaway there.
Next week is the event that I am really looking forward to, though. August 6th brings The Blessing of the Combines in downtown Snow Hill. It will be an all day affair, with an antique tractor pull at 4:30 pm. I might not be politically correct, but I give a thumbs up to a town that openly blesses the tools of their livelihood, and I won't miss it. See you next week!

No comments: