Monday, July 18, 2005

July 18th``
here is#19...Social Column 19

They say it's hell to grow old. I turned 50 today, and I don't think so.
I prefer to liken it to the contrast between living in a brand-new house in a raw sub-division, versus a charming Victorian with it's well-aged charm and established landscaping.
Sounds better then just getting "old" anyway. Thanks to my brother, George, who brought my 4 year old nephew, Sebastian down from New Jersey for the weekend, I had a chance to be "young" again. The party started late Friday night, with George and Sebastian coming from Jersey, and his best friend from college, Bob, coming from Virginia Beach. I knew a present awaited me. They pulled me outside, and there was a beautiful, hot-pink bicycle! ( I will never be able to discreetly be seen around town again.) I jumped aboard, and felt the years slip from me, as the wind kissed my face, and I pumped the pedals.
We spent Sunday doing something I spoke about in my last column~Crabbing! While George and Bob cast their manly poles in the water at Jane Island State Park, near Pokemoke City, Sebastian and I tied bits of soft-shelled crab to a string, and tummy down in the grass, waited to see what would happen. There they were! Fast-moving, claw grabbing, crabs, grasping the string and as startled as we were, as we flung them out of the water onto the bank. (We were too excited to use the net.) Note: You are supposed to use bits of chicken necks, but I forgot to pack them, and the soft shelled crab bait worked as well.) Jane Island offers camping, as well, and is a very cool place to go.
Today brought even more excitement to the Four and Older crowd. We spent the morning at Frontier Town, on Route 611 in West Ocean City. Take your kids there. Take YOURSELF there, when being a grownup seems like just too much work. Spend the whole day, and splash in the pool, watch a simulated Old West Gunfight, Ooh! La La! to the Can-Can Girls, and see an Indian Ceremonial Dance.
I rounded out my day with a visit to The Worcester County Arts Council, located in Berlin, Md., next to Sassafras Station. I have been urged to write about all the wonderful things The Council does for some time now, so I decided to take a peek and see what they offered for the small fry of the community. Turns out, there are all sorts of Summer Art Workshops. One I can highly recommend is being held July 25-29th, in Pokemoke, featuring Dawn Manyfeathers teaching Native American crafts. This workshop is geared for those in grades 3-7. Get those babies away from the TV and Playstation! The 12-17 year olds aren't left out in the heat, either. There is a photography workshop with Mike Gatty coming up August 9th-11th in Snow Hill. Costs for each are $25.00 per student, less then the cost for taking them out to McDonalds a couple of times. Call (410)-641-0809 for directions and more info.
I am so impressed with The Council that I cannot wait to do a full fledged column on it's mission, upcoming events, and on going services.
It's time to clothes-pin some cards on my spokes and take the pink party machine for a ride. Who knows? Maybe my 6oth will bring a pink Harley. See you next week!

1 comment:

Amadeus said...

Happy 50th Lisa!! Check your email.