Monday, October 03, 2005

Bayside 30

I am listening to the sweet sounds of Celtic Music..; fitting, because I started my weekend with a man in a kilt, and ended it that way, too.
I know I probably make my editor crazy, because she never knows where I am going, or where I am going to end up. Neither do I, frankly. I just take my fear, put him in my pocket, and take that little devil along for the ride.
Which is how I ended up setting my alarm clock for 5:00 AM on Saturday morning, to volunteer for The Osprey Triathlon at Public Landing, near Snow Hill. Such an incredible jewel in the necklace of Delmarva! A long dock leads to a covered pavilion with a picnic table, a place for fishermen, lovers, and philosopher's alike to pursue their dreams. And...it's free, something that I always hold dear, adhering to the old adage that "The Best Things in Life are Free."
Why was I there so early in the morning? The Maryland Coastal Bays Program needed volunteers, that's why. The very things that attracted me to this area, the beach, the farmlands, the bays, made me want to help an organization that is dedicated to a common sense approach to conserving these natural resources. I didn't do much...just handed t-shirts and goodie bags out to the athletes participating, and enjoyed the camaraderie of the other people there, (hi to Brenda and Christy!) . Of course, if you don't have the time or desire to volunteer, you can always write a check to help preserve what makes it so special to live here. The Maryland Coastal Bays Program's phone number is (410) 213-BAYS.
As I stumbled about in my early morning stupor, my eye was caught by an older gentleman strutting about in a kilt. Was it my much missed, beloved, Scottish/Canadian friend Rikk materializing out of the morning mist? Alas, no, it was a very concrete reminder that Sunday would bring the Celtic Festival, to round out this week's column. I guess the kilted gentleman was just going to the festival, too.
Sunday afternoon I headed back out to Furnace Town, where the Celtic Festival was held. Sorry if you missed it, just mark it on your calendar for next year, because it is a GREAT time. I have written about Furnace Town in the past...it's just such a cool place to go to explore the history of an early American steel-making town. Great for the little ones, plenty of room to run and play under the trees, as well as sneakily stuffing their little heads with history and educating them. Not bad for us grownups, either. An almost free place to picnic, learn something, and do something fun while pretending to be intellectual.
The Celtic Fair greeted me with bagpipes, and people milling about in kilts and medieval garb, and even a spot to have a nip of whiskey. ( I didn't partake, but DID try a Harp's ale.) There were vendors with Celtic jewelry, purveyor's of fine Scottish wool, and Irish groups performing.
My favorite was the main stage featuring girl's dancing to the foot-tapping Celtic music. There were three age groups, little sprites in crimson velvet, intermediate girl's in black and gold, and lush, full grown fairies in soft, wood green gowns. Bravo to all of them for the entertainment.
I ended my weekend where it began, at Public Landing. I took a picnic, and feasted on roasted chicken, a bottle of wine, and great poetry overlooking the bay. Do I need to add that it was at sunset?
Can't wait for next week's adventure, here on Delmarvelous. (Yes, I know that's corny.) See you next week!

No comments: