Monday, August 29, 2005

Bayside 25

The lure of the beach was the final deciding factor in my move here from the Midwest, almost one year ago. Not just any beach, though, it was the thought of the wild ponies of Assateague Island that sealed the deal for me. Every little girl goes through a "Misty" stage, where she dreams of living on an island befriending wild ponies, and I was no exception. When I made a quick reconnaissance visit prior to the move, having the ponies try to nuzzle me in the parking lot of Assateague cemented my childhood fantasy.
Yet, the pristine 37 mile stretch of beach almost wasn't . In the late 1950's, plans were made to line the shore with businesses and condo's, ala
Ocean City. As I write this, Hurricane Katrina is threatening New Orleans, and the disaster scenario due to massive flooding is catastrophic. Mother Nature intervened on Assateague in 1962, also, with a storm whose surge plunged much of the island underwater. It put the kabosh on funding for the project, and in 1965, Assateague was declared a National Seashore.
I usually visit the State Park part of the island, rather than the National. It's just easier to walk past the camp store and concession stand, and setup a chair. Once there, if you face the ocean and make a left, you can walk all the way to the Ocean City inlet if you are so inclined. I have never done it, but I have walked far enough so that the brightly colored umbrellas and swimmers fade away, and all you can see is wild, wide sand and sea. ( And a few very natural sunbathers.)
Assateague offers quite a bit more, though. I am determined to camp there, even though dire warnings of summer mosquitoes, biting fly's, and ticks have quelled my desire to do so in the summer months. I'm waiting for late fall, when the biting bugs go home with the tourists. I plan on combining my trip with a canoe rental, and making the three walking tours offered, Life of the Dune, Life of the Forest, and Life of the Marsh. (thank goodness they each come with a descriptive brochure.) I can smell the burgers on the grill and see the stars above my campfire as I speak.
This year I want to be more than the tourist that just takes pleasure at the beach and goes home, though. The Maryland eighth annual Coast Day is being celebrated Sept. 17th, with a huge party after the early morning clean up at the National part of the park. Unfortunately, I can't quit my day job, so I will miss the festivities that Saturday, but they include live animal exhibits, yummy shore foods, arts and crafts, and music. (I plan on being part of the clean-up crew on Monday.) Volunteers are needed Friday, Sept. 16th, Saturday, Sept. 17th, and Monday, Sept. 19th. For information or to volunteer call Dave Wilson at 410-213-2297.
Last, but not least....Remember my hot pink Della Cruiser bike I got for my 50th birthday last month? If you spot one abandoned in the area, please send me an email... Yup, you guessed it...someone snatched it. Oh well, walking is good for my soul, anyway... See you next week!

No comments: