Wednesday, August 10, 2005

here it is~~22...not stellar, but it worked...no time to go explore and cover something fun...


Social Column 22

The first time my former mother-in-law came to visit, I scurried about cleaning like mad. My husband walked in the door from work and looked around at the mess in astonishment..."What in God's name happened here?". "Deep Cleaning, you're Mother's coming, it's a female thing." I frantically replied. I wondered if the town of Berlin would go through something similar to prepare for Governor Robert L. Ehrlich, Jr.'s visit on August 19th, to honor Berlin's designation as an arts and entertainment district. I moseyed downtown to ask local shopkeepers what they were doing special for his visit.
First stop, tiny Patricia's Bakery. Many a Sunday morning I have stopped in for her moist apple bread. " The Governor's coming?," She exclaimed in her lilting Italian accent. " I will just make sure I have more of everything." It only took me 30 steps from the entrance to reach the cash register, but the place makes up in taste for what it lacks in size. (Try her giant éclairs, and Rosemary Bread...both are to die for.)
Next stop, my friends Peggy and Les Katona at The Main Street Gift Gallery. " He wouldn't be treated any different then we treat our other customer's." Peggy said, thoughtfully. " However, we will have artists on hand, demo-ing various visual and performing arts." I believe her, too, because there is a warm coziness that engulfs me every time I walk in. The Katona's have come up with some really creative plans to encourage the arts in Berlin, but I'm not telling til they are ready to go public. (The second I get the word, you will be the first to know!).
I have been meaning to go the Lavender & Old Lace antique store since it opened two months ago. Owners Janice and Dennis Johannsen moved to Berlin 8 years ago, and say simply, "We love Berlin." Procurers and collectors of "Moon and Stars" glassware, and many fine Victorian antiques, the couple encourage customer's to browse, or even sit for a chat in one of the store's comfy Victorian chairs. A special hello to my friend Frances Blank, owner of Berlin's first antique store. At 91, she often stops by to visit with Janice and Dennis on her walks downtown.
I asked The Treasure Chest what they were doing for the Governor's visit. I am no different from any other woman...I love beautiful jewelry, and The Treasure Chest has a gorgeous selection of precious gems in distinctive settings. The Treasure Chest has been a family run business for 28 years, and current owner Terri Sexton said " It will just be business as usual- our town has so much to offer, we are proud of it just as it is."
I was puzzled as I walked over to The Atlantic Hotel, where the governor is purported to speak. Where was the frantic "spiffing up?" The marching band, or at least a fiddle or two?? THEY didn't have anything firmly in place for his visit, either.
Sorry, Governor Ehrlich. What you see is what you will get....along with the dose of good old-fashioned warmth and courtesy that is extended to everybody. See you next week!

No comments: