Saturday, March 05, 2005

Saturday, March 5th~~
Well, it's been a long time, i know. I have been writing privately, these last few months, poetry too steamy to post. Those poems come from a different place then my usual ramblings..they, too, write themselves, but have a particular urgency that comes on me suddenly, a gust of wind out of nowhere, and then is gone.
I have had the most exciting thing happen...An opportunity to write a column for one of the local newspapers here. Me! I am exhilerated, frightened to my toes, and ready for it.
Only problem is...it's a social column. I am certainly not part of high society, nor a social climber by any means. But, i am not one to sit home with a can of beer and watch "Friends" reruns, either. So what to write about? WHO to write about?
I started by going to an art opening last night with my friend P., who is the manager of a local art gallery. She sailed with ease through the bluebloods and artists alike, while i found myself nervously adjusting my glasses on my nose, and just observing. She is a Leo, and I don't know if it is my curse or salvation, because i seem to always find myself in the company of strong-willed Aries and Leo's , determined to pull me out of my Cancerian shell.
She introduced me smoothly...as a local newspaper writer! I had no choice but to pull out my everpresent notebook and camera..At first all i could do was scribble about the food, desperately faking it...(olive tapenade, pasty gray hummas, crackers, lots of crackers) then i relaxed, and met the artists themselves, and found myself pulled into their stories...The brownhaired pixie with the shy eyes, whose sculpture showed a voluptous passion deep inside..The white haired professor whose paintings spoke of seeing the infinite patterned in everyday objects..The artist who lived in Italy, who painted cats with color and zest sweeping, operatic brushstrokes.
How do i put this in a social column? I don't know, yet. I have a week to turn it in to the editor...I think i am about to swim in some new currents, indeed. P.S. I guess i better learn how to spell, too., lol.

2 comments:

Flora van Stek said...

Hello mermaid, what a surprise to hear about your new job! I am sure you can write a very interesting and funny column about this art show. Congratulations!!!

Lisa said...

Thank you so much, dear Flora. You were the one who always encouraged me to write...Perhaps someday I can come back to the netherlands and write a story, there..