Friday, March 11, 2005

Social Column(Fox Hunt?)
When I was approached to write a social column for the Bayside Gazette, my first reaction was sheer joy.
Me! I have always loved to write, and my head buzzed with a million stories I could tell. I accepted the assignment.
My second reaction was.."What the heck is a social column, anyway?" Writing about black tie affairs? Rubbing shoulders with first families and the diamond draped? Uh-oh. My favorite attire is faded jeans with the knees ripped out. Yet...I am a very social creature, known to accost perfect strangers on the street with a smile and conversation. Perhaps a social column is about art gallery openings, music festivals, interesting seminars and doings about town? Hmnn...That sounded better, but still not quite right.
In desperation I turned to the dictionary. I found 2 entries for the word SOCIAL that seemed to fit. "living together or enjoying life in communities" and "marked by friendly companionship with others." EUREKA! That's what I would write about..enjoying life, enjoying people here in our community.
I am a newcomer to the eastern shore, so new, in fact, that last fall I was still puzzled about where the town of " Delmarva" was. ( I now realize, blushingly, that "Delmarva" is the eastern shore nickname for Delaware, Maryland and Virginia beach areas.) My initial contacts with people here took on an almost scary tint; somewhat like Mayberry meets the Stepford wives. I discovered people come in three distinct flavors here, those born to the area, those vacationing here, and the relocated "outsiders" like me. It seems to be a much bigger distinction here then in the midwestern city that I hail from. I was shocked by the lower pay scales, and the high prices at the grocery store. Though I haven't experienced it yet, I have been thoroughly frightened by stories of horrible traffic jams in the summer.And the soaring prices of real estate deserves it's OWN column.
Still, there is a beauty and gentle pace here that is hard to resist. I am still awed by the wild ponies at Assateaque, and the play of light across the water crossing the Route 90 bridge. The coolness I felt at my initial reception has begun to thaw.
I am volunteering at a local senior center, and have met some fascinating, caring people there. They have regaled me with stories of Ocean City's early years, when there was only a two-lane road and one bridge in and out. I have made friends with the manager of a local art gallery, and met several celebrated local artists. I've sat and talked to a spicy, 91 year old grande dame of one of the founding families here. I've shaken hands with Mayor Tom Cardinale, when he came to my house for last years Historic Christmas house tour. I've eaten raw oysters at BJ's on the Water, and the roast beef platter at Bull on the Beach. I have been to the circus down in Salisbury, and the oldies concert at the Ocean City convention center. I can't wait for Spring Fest, and the Pig Auction in Berlin. Pig auction?
It's a crazy mix here of cornfields and cocktails, of raucous boardwalk and serene seashore, cultural pursuits and downright party fever.
I think I just convinced myself that it's going to be fun to be here.
I now understand what this column is all about....PEOPLE, people and their activities that I find interesting. So be careful, because you never know where I will be, or if YOU will be the one I write about next...Later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice column!

thewriterslife said...

Hi, I happened to stumble on your blog tonight. I'm an author living on the Eastern Shore of Virginia and you're welcome to interview me anytime! ;o)