Monday, December 12, 2005

bayside 35

My adventures this week began with trees. I love Indian Summer days, when you can throw on jeans and a sweatshirt, and go for a walk in the woods. I headed up Route 113 and turned in at Shad's Landing, in Pocomoke State Park. Granted, it wasn't the forest of maple and oak I am used to in the Midwest, but the cypress and pine lent a wonderful green contrast to the more flamboyant reds and yellows of autumn. I explored the park by car first, noting the olympic-sized pool and various camping sites. The only other people around were school-children, strapped into neon-colored vests, preparing for a canoe trip. Now is a great time to scope out the best campsites for next season, and walk in undisturbed tranquility. You can still camp and canoe on the weekends until the end of the month.
Thursday night I attended a function for The Epilepsy Association of the Eastern Shore. This non-profit association helps those with epilepsy and other developmental disabilities. They provide public education as well as practical assistance including help with job placements and financial support. If you know of someone in need, or want to volunteer to help, please contact EAES, at (410)543-0665.
Friday night the Ocean Pines Chamber of Commerce hosted a fine arts auction to benefit the building fund. Held at Occasionally Yours in Berlin, it was my first fine art auction, and I was careful not to scratch my nose or utter a peep in fear of owning a piece of art my pocketbook couldn't support. My companion's experience with art is limited to his flamboyant necktie collection, but even he enjoyed the evening. The event was perfectly orchestrated, and included famous works by artists such as Peter Max and Thomas Kincaide at greatly discounted prices. I met new president Reba Felty at the event, and pictures don't do justice to her exuberant vitality..the woman just sparkles! Special hi to Chip, Dolores, and Diane.
Saturday night, (are you tired, yet?) I was back on home turf at The Waterline Gallery in Berlin for the artist reception honoring Parker Nicholls' series of paintings titled "Lifelines of Hope". The theme centers around man's ability to rise and stand tall through life's challenges, and was inspired by Hurricane Katrina and her aftermath. My favorite was "Looking for Home", which went straight to my heart. Sixteen of the paintings sold will be donated entirely to the Katrina relief fund, with a 20% donation to a large portion of his remaining works. Off track a little bit, I expected the "light refreshments" to be crackers and cheese. Kudos to The Globe Theater, who prepared the nibbles for the reception. My Italian taste buds went straight for the hard salami, cut in thick, rustic slices, and there was enough variety to finish with black pearls of caviar. While my soul was doing a happy dance taking in Mr. Nicholls art, and my tummy likewise entranced, I had the pleasure of mingling with artists Patrick Henry and Kevin Fitzgerald, too. Patrick displays at The Waterline, and Kevin at The Globe Theatre, or online at Kevinfitzgeraldpainter.com.
Sunday found me....EXHAUSTED! I wanted to go to the "Punkin Chunkin", in Millsboro, to round out my column. (I will try anything once). I found myself wandering the beach, for private downtime, and picking up driftwood as I walked. Note to the uninitiated, those lighter pieces of wood with the neat holes in them are NOT driftwood, but horse pucks, as my older sister gleefully explained when I showed her my treasures.
I started this column with trees, and I am ending it that way. I am so sad the pines have been cut down across the street from Food Lion in Berlin. I know "Progress has to be Made", and all that jazz, but I felt the same sorrow and foreboding I get with each demolished chicken farm, each sold sign on a cornfield. I hope we find the balance between progress and preservation, in our so unique Delmarva. See you next week!

No comments: