Monday, December 12, 2005

Around the Bayside 31

Loosely translated, the word "Mazat" means love. It's very fitting, because I loved a lot of things about the new Mediterranean style restaurant in Fenwick Island bearing the same name.
I have an almost eerie sixth sense when it comes to finding good places to eat. Be it a hole in the wall with a hand painted sign that says "Good Eats" to a fancy establishment dripping ambiance, if good food lurks within, I can smell it.
For the last three months I have seen Mazat advertised, and I knew it was time to test my nose once again. My companion and I arrived about 8 p.m. on Saturday night. The outside of Mazat is not remarkable, just a neat, trim building just over the Maryland border in Fenwick Island. Two things caught my eye as soon as we walked in, the oriental rug in the entranceway, and the gracious way we were greeted. There are several dining rooms, and we were seated in a long, narrow room lit by candles and painted in shades of sherbet lemon and lime, trimmed in white. Before we even ordered our meal, a cloth covered basket arrived with hot peasant bread, and a bowl of crushed olive spread. Sacrificing my diet once again in dedication to this column, I dug in. Yum! If the olive spread was an indication of the meal, it was going to be a good one.
And it was. I ordered the Salmon Vera Cruz, a delectable dish of perfectly cooked salmon, bathed in a light cream sauce, studded with grilled shrimp and scallops. My friend ordered the surf and turf, and surrendered a bite of each for me to taste. Again, perfectly balanced cooking technique and spice, with the quality of ingredients very evident. The fresh vegetable medley that accompanied each dish was lightly steamed and still crisp, again attesting to experienced culinary skill. Over a dessert of homemade flan, a cool, creamy, latin custard with caramel, I scribbled notes and watched my fellow diners. A birthday party was in progress near the small stage that featured Heather G. and friend Rob Hennis on guitar. (Yes, her angelic voice serenaded us as we ate, as well.) Spontaneous dancing broke out in the aisle as she played a poigent love song, and reinforced the magical feel. ( Heather G., is a very talented performer, and I will keep you posted where she is performing.)
As I sipped the complimentary after dinner port that is served with each meal, I spoke with Michelle, employed with the owners of Mazat for over ten years. It was then I found out that Mazat has a sister restaurant in Salisbury, The Cactus Taverna. Never one to be derelict in the line of duty, Sunday night my companion and I headed out to Salisbury to compare the two. I had assumed that The Cactus Taverna was primarily a Mexican restaurant, but was pleasantly surprised to see the menu included many of the same dishes featured at Mazat, also. I had the beef chimichanga, served with tiny, spiced black beans and rice, and just like at Mazat, the portion was so generous I had to ask for a doggie bag to take home. Little hint, here. If you want to dress up a bit and have a leisurely, delightful dining experience, go to Mazat. If you want to wear your jeans, take your kids, and eat the same great food for less, go to The Cactus Taverna. You will get tasty food, a warm welcome, and a complimentary sip of port in both restaurants.
Just a footnote; last week an evil computer genie wiped out my column featuring The Maryland Coastal Bay’s Osprey Triathlon and the Celtic Festival....my apologies, and more on The Maryland Coastal Bay’s events in a future column. See you next week!

No comments: