Monday, December 12, 2005

December 12Th~~
All the columns from Oct 14 onwards were added today as a special present to my brother, George. Ok, Georgie? Quit bugging me, LOL!
And here is this weeks column....
Bayside 40

Ok, I admit it. With less than 2 weeks away until Christmas, my calm exterior is beginning to crack, and a frantic "hurry, hurry, hurry" mantra is running circles in my brain. Where did that September resolution to be ready for the holidays by Dec. 1st go?
As I often do in times of crisis, I look to nature to soothe and center me. That was how I found myself back at the beach this morning, with the temperature a mere 34 degrees. My car was the sole vehicle in the lot, but as I trudged the beach I received a surprising early Christmas gift. On the wide, empty expanse of beach, someone had recently dropped red rose petals, one by one, in a Hansel and Gretel trail upon the sand. Two lovers, walking hand in hand? A bouquet thrown in the sea to remember someone, washed back to the shore? I will never know, but will cherish the memory the anonymous romantic left for me to discover.
Impulse made me turn in at the Assateague visitor center on the way home. It was my first visit, and I am very glad I stopped. There is a wonderful gift shop along with a "touchable" tank, inviting you to dip in a hand and experience the feel of whelks, horseshoe crabs, and sea snails. There are books, and plush Assateague ponies, t-shirts and ballcaps; a deck prism and CD's, all wonderful, inexpensive stocking stuffers whose proceeds benefit the park. My favorite, though, is the Foster Wild Horse Program. You chose your favorite horse from those shown in the photo album, and receive a handsome portfolio with a 8x10 picture of your horse, a biography, and an official certificate. You can add a plush pony, book, or t-shirt for a modest additional charge. They have a great website about the program, too, www.assateaguewildhorses.org.
There is another way to celebrate nature here on Delmarva, thanks to the many talented artists that use our scenic beauty for inspiration. I had the pleasure of attending A Step Above Art Gallery's monthly reception this past week. Located inside Town Center Antiques in Berlin, and up a creaky wooden staircase, A Step Above is a delight for those seeking the whimsical, the unusual, and the one of a kind. John Heinz and Charlie Flagiello played a bluegrass duet during the reception, and a table was laden with munchies.
Featured artists included Betty Latourney, David Morgan, Mary Murphy, Lee Simon, Suzanne Wilson, Valerie Witkowski, Maria Zankowich, and Bea Miltenberger. If you have never been to an art reception, step out of the ordinary and give their next month's reception a whirl. It's one thing to solemnly view art in a museum, but to look at incredible creativity and shake the hand that created it is a wonderful feeling. Watch for an exciting new dimension to the gallery’s offerings this spring.
Finally, it makes me sad to say that the Beachcombers Art Easel Art Gallery of West Ocean City will be closing it's doors after Christmas. The good news is, they will be reopening in Selbyville, Delaware around Valentine's Day. The Beachcomber is offering a 20% off sale going on now through Dec. 24th, and I will definitely be shopping there. (Lots of jewelry, sculpture, glassware as well as paintings) I especially love the work of Bonnie Preziose, Judy Johnson, and Doris Price. Best of Luck, Edith, in your new location.
Time to put down the pen and put on my apron~ cookies to bake and my first ever try at fruitcake. Who knows, it might become my signature gift; seems fitting to me. See you next week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Cinny,

I have missed your colums being posted. Would like to contact you in some form.

Hole in Heart

Lisa said...

It's interesting that you contacted me, Hole in Heart. I can't figure out who you are on our other place??? I will leave my email there, ok?