Monday, April 04, 2005

Social Column 4

Food. Glorious Food. Having grown up in an Italian family, this is one subject I hold close to my heart, if not my hips. I can remember being swathed in a flowery apron, peeking into fragrant, simmering pots, with my grandma teaching me her "secret" recipe for macaroni and meatballs. Later, I learned at my mother's side, for she was a formidable cook, entertaining my father's business clients with savvy international cuisine.So, I am no stranger to "good eats." A very lucky woman, I have lived in Florida, and eaten fresh fish grilled in dockside cafes, in Alabama , where the BBQ reigns sublime, in North Jersey where the bread is the best and the deli's are divine, and in Detroit ,where widemouth bass is served on a charred cedar plank. But I have to tell you, for sheer diversity and delectiblity, Delmarva is winning my Salvitating Award, tongue down.
Maybe it has to do with the ocean breezes and the freshest of seafood? The fresh vegetables from the local farms? The cosmopolitan influence from our visitors from New York, Baltimore, and DC? I don't know, I don't really care, all I know is that if Chefs have a heaven, it's here.
But don't take my word for it. I asked a local Bed and Breakfast owner where she suggests her guests go eat...She looked up and to the left, as if the sky held the answer to my question, then, hand in chin, replied " hmmmn...that's a hard question to answer.. I love to suggest The Atlantic Hotel, for it's ambiance, charm, and sophisticated cuisine. The Globe Theater always has great sandwiches and now features evening specials, with great artwork and collectibles for sale., and Goober's is a favorite breakfast spot for locals.All three restaurants are located in Berlin.
Personally, I love the crabcake sandwich at Captain's Gallery,on the water at West Ocean City's Harbor.Crispy outside, sweet and succulent inside, all served in a fresh roll..YUM! This past summer, family came in from Long Island, NY, and we had a steamed crab feast to die for, courtesy of Crabs to Go, on the corner of Routes 50 & 589.It was the traditional eastern shore feast, and we served the spicy crabs piled on a newspaper tablecloth,family style, with plenty of beer and wooden mallets to crack through the shell to the tender crab inside. I love the roast beef at Bull on the Beach, at 94th St.& Boardwalk, sliced thin, flavorful, and piled high.It's great when you are oystered, clammed, and shrimped out, and just want some solid beef under your belt. Fager's Island, 60th St On the Bay, is a romantic, extravagant restaurant, which I found pricey, but worth it. The black pepper crusted blue cheese steak is to die for, and I confess I spent a full 10 minutes in the ladies room, just sitting on the plush sofa, and admiring the lavish fixtures. (it's the little things in life that count.)
There have to be a MILLION restaurants to choose from. But, what if you are sun and sea tired, and just want a shower and movie at the condo? I can't wait until Avalon opens, a upperscale gourmet market and takeout located near the White Marlin Mall in Ocean City. The owner has a vision of the freshest of vegetables, delectable salads and entrees, and citified expresso and coffees, packaged and ready to enjoy at home, at the beach, or for special social functions. Won't be bad for hard working mom's and dad's, too tired to cook, either. They plan their grand opening for early May, 2005. I love the sandwiches and bologna hotdogs at Coin's restaurant,( a little cholesterol is good for the soul, sometimes) located at 28th St, downtown Ocean City. You've got to have a pizza place, and I like Mione's, at the White Marlin Mall in Ocean City. The large pizza was tasty, with real mozzarella cheese, not that fake stuff, and big enough to satisfy even a lusty eater like me.
So who have I left out? I bet a LOT of great restaurants, alot of places that locals and vacationers alike hold tight, as the closely guarded secrets they are. Come on, share..! We all love to eat, we all want to know the "hot spots" to go..I have given you a few of mine., what's your's??? Let me know via the Bayside Gazette, or my web-address, listed below.
See you next week!

No comments: