Monday, April 11, 2005

Social Column 5~~~I admit it. I am thoroughly infatuated with art and artists. My mom doodled pagodas and swanky ladies dolled up in furs, and both of my sisters are talented with pencil and paint. Me? I can draw a pretty good stick figure, and a bunny fashioned from a capitol B., but, that's about it. To make up for the glaring lack of talent in my family's artistic gene pool, I have become an avid art enthusiast, instead. I have traveled to some of the finest art museums in the world, but what I really love the best are local, intimate art galleries.
I used to think that they were for only for the upper crust, and I have to admit I was intimidated by going to an opening reception. Could be because of the first one I ever attended, where even the fresh strawberries were dressed up in chocolate tuxedos. Yikes!
The galleries I have experienced here are different. I think there are several reasons for this. First of all, the beauty of our bays and beach and farms draw artists here like a magnet. indeed, I consider our area a Mecca for aspiring and established artists alike. Secondly, there is a laid back, casual feel to the galleries I have attended, where people can visit in jeans and t-shirts, if desired, making art "shopping" accessible to all, yet the art itself is world class.
The first gallery I visited since moving here is a case in point. The Waterline Gallery, located in a historic building in downtown Berlin, is both elegant and casual. The caliber of art is phenomenal, yet they still do fun things like their monthly open-mic night, where they provide music and appetizers as well as art. Watch for a spectacular reception on April 23rd. Gallery information is available at (410)641-9119.
Last Saturday I was able to add a new favorite to my ramblings in the art world. I stepped into The Beachcombers Easel Art Gallery, on the corner of Routes 50 & 611 in West Ocean City, and immediately felt the excitement of a great array of creative art mediums, including hand wrought jewelry, and sculpture. The owner, Edith Vogl, is a fifth generation painter herself, and the gallery is very supportive of both emerging artists and those who are already well ensconced in the area. They were holding one of their monthly receptions, complete with snacks and champagne, but the best part was being able to meet several of the featured artists themselves. Doris Price, from Millsboro, De, has been a studio painter for more than thirty years. A diminutive woman with powerful personal magnetism, her paintings reflect a bold radiance and love of music. Jim Adcock, an Ocean Pines resident, taught art in Baltimore in the 70's, and has lived here for over 10 years. He has a special gift for taking the landmarks and icons exclusive to our area, and painting them into cherished memories. It was wonderful meeting you both, Doris and Jim. Look for Beachcombers next reception on May 14th, featuring Judith Johnson's dreamy waterscapes. The gallery can be reached at (410)213-9433.
Well worth a visit is A Step Above, another art gallery in downtown Berlin. With over 4,000 square feet of display space and over 100 regional artists showcased, I was fascinated by all the different types of art available. Rustic birdcages, hand painted bottles, pottery, carvers, hand-woven clothes, stained glass, as well as a painting gallery, the owner, William Outten, has done an outstanding job promoting the work of local artists. They also hold monthly receptions; and the gallery can be reached at (410)629-0988.
These are just a few choice gems in my foray in the art world here. Do call and find out monthly receptions, hours of operation, ect. They are food for the soul and alot of fun, too, and you might just take home a precious memory of the Eastern Shore.
See you next week!

No comments: