Friday, June 03, 2005

friday nite~~
it's 11:30 pm and i walked in the door an hour ago. These long days are taking some getting used to...out the door by 8-9am, back in at 10-10:30. I love the long ride thru the countryside in the morning, it is a time to think and reflect in blessed silence. The evenings are harder; I don't see well at night, and by the time I am almost thru the 45 minute ride the lines of the road seem to swell and blur..One more day to go, and i will be back on my regular schedule after the wedding.I have had one day off in between,and I am still running, running, not getting anywhere fast. My beautiful pink room is still trashed,the floors look cloudy and dusty in the house. I know it will get better, once I get back on my schedule. I found out a wonderful secret about the effect on local events of my column.., it makes me glad i didnt listen to my doubting self saying to give it up, there wasnt time...It's time to go to bed, and finish that last day of work. I am finally starting to grasp their computer system, and learn all the specs of the 35 beds I sell. I am trying to hone my selling skills and master all the managerial tasks. I worry about commissions and being away from home so much, and am in a guarded place of personal withdrawal. I'm just tired, i guess. But, here it is, Social COlumn 12~~
Social Column 12

Have you ever been to the Art League of Ocean City? Located bayside at 94th St., adjacent to the water tower, the art league has been promoting the enrichment of life through art since the 1960's.Though the building itself is owned by Ocean City, the inside is maintained by the 300 or so members of the league. With over 30 local business sponsors and a dedicated core of volunteers, the art league is a cultural pearl in a city more known for it's boardwalk and beaches. It's not just a gallery, either.. the League offers artistic workshops throughout the year, often with noted artists teaching the classes. I think that one of their best accomplishments is the scholarship fund they sponsor annually to benefit a budding local art student. Their latest fund-raiser was The Sandcastle Tour, with honorary chair for the event Kendel Ehrlich, wife of Maryland governor Robert Ehrlich, Jr. The two day event featured everything from a "bachelor pad" to a bed and breakfast on the beach, and was a great success. Proceeds for the event are slotted to build The Art League's own "sandcastle", a larger, more modern building with room to accommodate more workshops, exhibitions, and storage.
Each month they showcase a new exhibit, with an opening reception on the first Friday of the month between 5-7pm.It is free and open to the public.
One of my first forays into the art world since moving to Delmarva was one such opening last March. I was surprised at the building that houses The Art League; it looks more like a summer beach cottage then an art gallery. Though picturesque, I can understand why they dream of an expanded facility. I walked inside and signed the guest register, and was greeted warmly by one of the volunteers on hand for the evening. A table was set up with wine and cold drinks, and a buffet laden with homemade sweets and savory nibbles. Everything was delicious, and I loved the contrast of the simple, relaxed atmosphere with the spectacular, complex artwork on view.
The featured artists' mingled with the crowd, and it lent an even more intimate feel to the evening. I don't know about you, but when the best you can do is draw a stick figure, just being able to TALK to such artists is a thrill. How do they do it? A night at one of The Art League's receptions gives you the chance to ask them just that, while socializing with the local art community. If you want to join the organization, or want to know more about them, you can go to their website at www.artleagueofoceancity.org., or call them at (410)524-9433. I hope to be at this Friday's reception, because I know it will be exciting, enriching, and just plain fun.
Totally off track, but I have to share it....My day job takes me to Salisbury now, and I had my first soft-shell crab sandwich, from a take out place called "Chesapeake Treasures". If you are a newcomer like me, it looks scary to see a sandwich with legs poking out of two slices of bread. I closed my eyes and bit into it anyway. DELICIOUS! (Thanks to my friend Clarence, who brought me one at work.) See you next week!

No comments: