Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Wednesday morning~~
Here it is, Lucky Column 13..This one is extra special to me., because i get to combine what i love to do while helping people. I wince as i see a few mistakes, I need to somehow slow down and proofread my work more carefully.
Starting to get back into the rhythmn of the long days, but, deep inside i want to slow down...yet, there is no stopping the train! At least I have the house whipped back into shape, have spent more time with Justin, and managed to get my column in on time.

Social Column 13

I heard my sister scream "Georgie's hurt!", and I started running. Barefoot, across the sharp graveled alleyway, I ran, until I found my little brother sprawled under a huge maple tree, twitching and foaming at the mouth. At thirteen, I panicked; my uncle, who had a military background, didn't. He gently tilted Georgie's head to the side, made sure his airway was clear, and sent me back home to call an ambulance. My daring brother had won a bet...that he could climb to the tip top of the tallest oak tree. Unfortunately, it was at a dear cost. He lost his footing and fell, broke his wrist, and suffered a concussion, which caused a seizure. Though terrifying, this was a one-time event, that could have been prevented with head gear..not unlike that worn by bicylists and those in contact sports. Could you imagine living your life with repeated seizures?
According to the Epilepsy Foundation of the Eastern Shore, over 3,000 people on Maryland’s Eastern Shore have the condition. Note I say "condition", because epilepsy is Not a disease., but rather, abnormal electrical input to the brain.
The Epilepsy Foundation of the Eastern Shore is a non-profit organization dedicated to clearing the myths surrounding epilepsy, and helping those with the condition to lead lives free of the stigma of the perception that such people are shaking, foaming at the mouth, undesirables. Their mission is to educate the public, and to help epileptics and others with developmental difficulty find jobs, and lead a "normal" life.
Now for the fun part of this week's column. The foundation has come up with an awesome fundraiser! Now I don't play golf, though it is on my list of things to do, along with playing the flute and riding in a hot-air balloon. If you do play golf, or just want to support a great cause, The Sandpiper Open is the event for you. Held at Ocean Resorts Golf Club, 10655 Cathell Road in Berlin on June 17th, it's a great way to practice your swing, perhaps win a car or 5,000 dollars, and be a philanthropist at the same time.
The festivities begin at 12 noon, with registration. The Tournament itself begins at 1pm, with a shotgun start. You can bring your own foursome or they will match you with other golfers. You can compete to win the 5,000 putting contest and try to win a 2005 Ford, courtesy of Sherwood on the Shore, in the Hole-in-One competition. ( I have only the vaguest comprehension of Hole-in-One, and Putting contest, but, it sounds like fun.)
If you follow my column, you know I love to cook. Boil this fund-raiser down, and you will get 2 parts Fun, 1 part Self-less love, and 5 parts Gratitude, from those with Epilepsy.
I never was good at Math, but, I stick by my numbers. Last year they raised almost 8,000 dollars for their cause, and over 95percent was used for direct client services.
The tournament will end with a Reception at 6pm, with awards granted and an auction.
Golfer’s always have fun. That’s why they play. How great to do it for a cause that will enrich the lives of those facing challenges we do not.
See you next week!

No comments: