Thursday, June 23, 2005

June 23..
anyway..here it is...number 15? or is it 14?

Social Column 15
Summer has a way of heating things up. Scents are spicier, colors more vibrant, and there is more daylight to enjoy it all. Apparently, this column is in full summer swing, because there is so much to do, I can barely fit it all in.
Have any of you heard that Delmarva has a comedy club? One of my clients at work told my co-worker, Suzanne, and I about a great place to go and laugh ourselves silly. It sounded like the perfect antidote to a full day of retail sales, and we decided to go. The Bottle Factory is located in Salisbury, off of business Route 13. Saturday night the bar transforms itself into " The Comedy Zone." We queued up and paid our 8 dollar admission for the 9pm show, and sat and had cocktails and snacks while we waited for the show to begin. (try Al's famous crab dip when you go). Andy Hendrickson was first up onstage. Young, sarcastic, and acerbic, Andy's dark humor speared all in it's path, from his college days to Chinese takeout.
Headliner Big Ed Caylor hails from The Smoky Mountains of Tennessee, and in his soft, Southern drawl, said, "nothing is sacred up here."
His uproarious take on marriage, parenthood, dating and weight loss was hilarious. Between the two comedians, I joyfully submitted to that state of laughing you rarely carry into adulthood....flat out side-bursting, tear running giggles. I give "The Comedy Zone" a thumbs up for great entertainment at less than the cost of a movie. For upcoming shows and directions, call (410) 749-9669.
The night was not over, however. Fager's Island, in Ocean City, has long been a landmark for great food and music. I was fortunate enough to have dinner there this past winter, and was enchanted by the elegant ambiance and delicious food. I was curious to see how the onslaught of vacationers impacted Fager's. Yikes! I never saw so many gyrating bodies in my life. If you like non-stop music and have no problem with scantily clad people within a foot radius, by all means go. If you are a student of sociology and want to observe the dating rituals of young humans, it's a must. If you are like me, however, a nightcap at home, or a walk on the beach might be a better way to end the evening.
I rounded off the weekend with a trip to "Art in the Park.", held at Northside Park. I had never been to the park before, and loved the view of the bay, the long dock, and the paved walkways, perfect for strolling or biking. It was chilly with a whipping wind, yet the caliber of art displayed made for a worthwhile outing. I was particularly impressed by the jewelry of Ron Haritan, of Gambrills, Md. With a background in stained glass, his fused glass jewelry designs are light-catching works of art. I couldn't resist, and am the proud owner of a stunning pair of earrings in iridescent blue. I will be watching for his return, and let you know so you can enjoy his work, too.
That raps it up for this week. I hope all you Dad's out there had a wonderful Father's Day. Special hugs to my Dad, George. You weren't with us for very long, but your love has lasted a lifetime. See you next week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lisa,
Thanks for the great comments about my comedy.....hope you don't mind if I use it on the building of my new web site coming soon
BigEdCaylor.com

I googled my name....you showed!