Tuesday, June 14, 2005

just home from work..
Social column 14
This week's column is a little bit different than my weekly focus on one particular subject. It's been an eventful week, and there are several things I would like to share. First, and foremost, I would like to dedicate this column to Frank Dickson.~~

Hi, Frank. I can see you, drinking green tea, and winking at me, from heaven. Was it just last November that we celebrated your 100th birthday at the Berlin Senior Center? We decorated your cake with the green tea bags you attributed to your longevity, and watched, smiling, as you accepted your proclamation from Mayor Tom Cardinale and the City of Berlin. You gave your story to local newspaperman Pete Beisser, as your friends stopped by your chair with hugs and well wishes.
You see, Frank, last Friday I got home from a long day at work, and, as is my ritual, checked my e-mail. My friend and former boss, Shelby Bacon emailed me about your rite of passage. She said your kids stopped by the Berlin Senior Center, to tell her the news. She said you read my column every week, religiously. I never knew. I just knew I loved your smile, your zest for life, and loved flirting with you as much as you did with me. It was a great excuse, Frank, to say I was getting a kiss from a hundred year old man. Truth is, you still gave me a tingle, and I loved your stories about politics, and how you met President Warren Harding in the 1920's. I, as well as your family and other friends, will miss you, Frank.
You know from reading each week that I love the beach, and I tend to spend more time at Assateague Island than the beach in Ocean City. Last Sunday gave me another perspective, though. I was invited to the beach in Ocean City at 36th Street, home of Castle in the Sand. It was the best of both worlds, with a restaurant and Olympic sized pool, or, if you preferred, the sea just steps away. I had brought a picnic, but, even nicer, a young server strode through the sand, serving ice cold drinks and food. Talk about total relaxation....
Last Friday night was another great Open Mic Night at The Waterline Gallery, with an exciting line-up of musicians and, for the first time, poets. Kudos to Susan Beverly, poet, and her daughter Shannon. (Susan, your work touched me deeply). I couldn’t imagine reading my work in public, but she did it with passionate confidence. The crowd loved Bruce Lukoskie, guitarist, and "Gentleman" Joe Steen. Charlie Flagiello, a very talented photographer as well as guitarist and banjo player, charmed the crowd with his comedic songs. Bill Rolig, as well as being a celebrated local artist, sang and played the guitar. "Soul Feel’s" Lee and Joey returned for the second month in a row, polished and purring. Last, but not least, Steve Frene sat in on harmonica with Paul & Trish, who not only performed with zestful exuberance, but orchestrated the party. If you are a musician, poet, or enjoy live music and generally a good time, call The Waterline Gallery at (410) 641-9119 for more info. See You Next Week!



.up in Seaford Delaware today....here it is., number 14~~

No comments: