Tuesday, June 28, 2005

June 28th~~
This was a tough one to cover on time~
Social Column 16

The forecast is perfect. Sunny and warm, with only a few scattered clouds to accentuate the blue sky above. Uh-oh. Those fluffy white clouds have turned to a leaden gray, and the rain is pouring down. What to do when the weather is awful ? Shop, of course....and I once again reach to the treasure chest of downtown Berlin for a unique Delmarva experience.
I have to say it~ I don't love Wal-mart, and J. C. Penny's leaves me cold. It's just too bland and repetitive for my taste.
You won't find that experience in downtown Berlin. It's Christmas morning for the weary chain-store shopper. I meandered through the streets, looking in windows and stopping at whim. My eye was caught by a little table with soap bubbles set up outside The J.J. Fish Studio and Fine Crafts Gallery, owned by John and Judy Fisher. What a cool place! They make bubble carafe's with silver blowers for grown-ups, though sharing with kids is allowed. Their marble pendants really caught my imagination. You can either choose from hand-blown marbles or use your own heirloom sphere, that's showcased in a handcrafted silver cage, and hung on a silky cord. John calls art "The one constant in my life." It shows, because John and Judy have a spectacular array contemporary handmade jewelry and crafts for sale.
My next stop was Victorian Charm. If you ever see older ladies donning outrageous red hats, they probably purchased them here. "Red Hatters" have made the shop a word-of-mouth phenomenon. The collection includes everything from red hats to red boas to pins, books, and the companion colored purple clothing. Owner Debbie Frene was modest about her successful 11 years of business, and attributes a fair share of it to people who come in to visit with Josh, her Maltese dog.
Bruder Hill calls itself the "Land of Ahhs." I agree. Owners Di Hill and Shelly Bruder weren't in, but the store was staffed by Pat Cavin, who told me "We have customers from all over the country, as well as a loyal local following." Ladies, it's hip, whimsical, and fun. Neat little sandals, one of a kind funky jewelry, and clothes that scream "made for soft sea breezes and special occasions.".
Last but not least, I stopped into the Main Street Gift Gallery. Owners Peggy and Les Katona were both working, and took the time to show me their lovely gallery of local art and gourmet delicacies. I especially loved her hand-painted bamboo walking sticks, and the selection of Chesapeake style gourmet goodies.
To the other fine shopkeepers downtown, I can't wait to discover you, too. A special thanks this week to the Simms Family, owners of The Berlin Auto-Wash. They not only gave me an incredible deal for an antique desk I purchased at their garage sale, but refused a counter offer for double the price, loaded it up for me, and threw in a lamp. Guess there still ARE honorable people in the world. See you next week!

No comments: