Tuesday, April 13, 2004

The familiar winter palatte of white and gray is back today, barely tinted by the red of the budding maples around my house. I don't care, because it is one week since that terrible cold, and my energy is back, ready to take on the world. My brotherinlaw, Doc, chatted with me online last night, and gave me an exercise routine. My arms hurt this morning from ten measly pushups, and i am quite sure i did them wrong, anyway.I did them again this morning, and jumped rope, too, even though it was with a bit of rope from an old clothesline. Perhaps the endorphin rush will come later, after i have caught my breath...
Back to the holiday in Canada....The first thing you notice is how friendly the Canadian border cops are, not grim-faced like the American side. When asked what i was bringing in to Canada, I reeled off my food items, and she smiled and said "go enjoy your holiday"..That was it, and off we went. The Queen's Highway, 401, is a pristine, straight roadway, with tidy farms and stands of trees. That's it, no billboards, no neon, nada. You can fall into a zen-like trance, with nothing to grab your eye but the colors of the earth and sky. I wouldn't want to travel it in the winter.
As you travel into St. Thomas proper, the first thing you are greeted by is a huge elephant's behind, up on a hill to your right. St Thomas is where the famous circus elephant Jumbo, was killed by a train many years ago, and they immortalized it with a huge concrete sculpture of him high on the hill. Five years ago, Rikk was commissioned to repaint him. His sense of humor overcame him as he mixed the primer coat, and he added a wallop of pink to the paint. The city fathers' were outraged as Jumbo emerged pink as a drunk's hallucination, and threatened nonpayment for the work. He kept painting. The news crews arrived, and by the time Jumbo was proudly pink, there were crowds lined up to have their pictures taken, and people selling postcards and t-shirts.Just goes to show that you should follow your heart, and success will follow...or, at the very least, you will have a good time. I WANT TO WRITE MORE!!! but, time to get ready for work.....

No comments: