Tuesday, April 06, 2004

I sure am tough, sometimes. I hardly ever get sick, but Sunday night i felt a cold coming on like a freight train...the uh-oh kind of cold, that starts with alot of sneezes, progresses to a dripping nose, and culminates in a general feeling of horrible lassitude.
No choice, not really...still had to go to work, boom, 11 hours, monday, tuesday and wednesday....I thought about it like a prison term..all i really wanted to do was sleep.
Today at work i thoroughly submerged myself in the pity pool., internally raging at my job, ready to quit., thinking i should have the kind of job where sick days are the norm, and paid, to boot.
No such luck. At one point, i crawled into the furthest corner of the clearance room, and tucked myself in for a 10 minute nap. Fifteen minutes later i was awakened by a customer, because Garry was on the phone and couldn't warn me that someone had come in. Proper little pool of drool on the pillow, one hand curled around my hair, at least my skirt was still down....sigh. I sold them the very same mattress, saying that it was the one i chose when i was really in need of a comfortable little sleep. Never think that God doesn't give a silver lining to his clouds....lol.
I am excited and a bit scared about Easter. Going to Canada for the holiday, with Justin, while Todd gleefully stays home to do whatever 22 year olds do when their Mom's not home....At least i trust him, so, that's half the battle.
And what will i bring for Easter? Food, of course..Before i even think of what to wear, i am planning on making a pot of sauce with meatballs, Magic Bars, Pumpkin Pie, and artichoke dip. Hope they don't confiscate it at the border. And all the while, eating with people i don't know, (knowing i will be rated and judged, most likely),I have in my heart my mother's Easter feast....redolent with garlic rubbed lamb, fresh asparagus, sauteed mushrooms, cooked so slow they were intense nuggets of flavor, and artichokes, spiky and naughty, stuffed with cheese and bread crumbs, sensous to the teeth and tongue..
What am i going , a garlic spiced Italian girl in the midst of Ham eating protestants? Should i try to straighten my hair? Should i wear a conservative pantsuit?
Nah, I think i will just feed them. I think i will just hug them. I think i will just buy some wine.
I promise to write about the funny bits.
Sure wish i was spending it with my sisters, and brother, and aunt, and cousins. Time for this sick girl to go to bed.....tomorrow, ...........to write again.

No comments: