Thursday, April 01, 2004

What a luscious day! I have just come to realize that cooking is a meditation for me.Alone in my kitchen, listening to music, my mind roams and settles, and in action, i find peace. I made baked ziti, laughing the whole time, because i put kielbasa in it, and used jarred sauce...Oh, Grandma Mary, forgive me, you, of the pure kitchen, the kitchen that always started from scratch, but, i know it's going to be good....Good male food, full of ground beef, and sausage, saucy and spicy, topped with melted cheese. .What's not to love?
Then...homemade hummus.....a little delicacy i bought for myself...pureed chick peas, favorite of isrealis and arabs alike....only to find my boys loved it, ate it, and, left little for me....I couldnt resist making it homemade, the way i made when i was a young bride, full of international enthusiasm about the cuisines of the world....
Plain, with a bit of fresh garlic and lemon and olive oil., and then, as my music and fingers stirred me, the second batch with calamari and green olives, sundried tomatos, onion, and pepper...mnnnnn...The best part is that i know that Todd will love it., that son of mine that is a man, yet, always, my baby...my firstborn.
Of course, i can't leave out Justin....for him, fresh salsa., hot, with chunks of jalapeno, red onion, lush red tomatoes, and a big handful of cilantro....doused with lime, salt, and garlic....hmnn..maybe a shot of tequila next time????
The ziti just came out of the oven.....it smells like heaven....Probably weighs nine hundred pounds....give or take....
And just like running a marathon, the piece di resistance...Bar cookies, with peanut butter, chopped pecans and chocolate.....I will cut them in squares and put them on a footed dish, a solitary temptation when the meal is done.....I just previewed this post., and had to snicker....i meant calamata olives, not calamari(octopus) in the hummus....and my spelling, well, jeeesh, that is my beloved friend Flora's department...she is a whip with all that stuff.....even though she isn't English first speaking.....

No comments: