Monday, July 05, 2004

Monday Morning~
The BOOM BOOM BOOM of the fireworkers is finally over. My neighborhood is a throwback from the fifties...Small ranch and bungalows,neat little lawns,encircled by towering maples you can't get your arms around.Carefully tended gardens, with tomato plants and sunflowers and lots of rosebushes. People here borrow weed-wackers and sugur, and lean on their rakes to talk over the fence. I like that. Even after the royalties start coming in from my first book( optimism at it's best),I will NEVER live in one of those huge musoleums they call a home now. You know the ones, the "Thank God i don't drink because I would stumble into the wrong house" kinda yuppie mansions,that all look alike except for the color of the door and designer landscaping treatment. Give me an old house with creaky wooden floors and some individuality any day. Give me neighbors that are really neighbors, any day. I don't even think all of us lock our doors here, though that might just be denial of our violent society.
Told Rikk on the phone last night about giving away the Dodge colt. I wasn't looking forward to it, because i knew the Scot/Dutchman in him was going to freak. "You GAVE it away???" I think the quote he used after that was "No good deed will go unpunished". Modern translation, " Good guys finish last". I have heard that incredulous tone before, when i do things like that, from my sisters, especially. Almost like they are dealing with a mentally impaired child. I don't care, really. I never deny that heart voice inside. It keeps my hand in God's, somehow. Off to work i go.....Later.

No comments: