Sunday, July 04, 2004

Happy 4th!!
I just said goodbye to my 1989 dodge colt hatchback. Say goodbye to a car? You bet. That car was more loyal then most men i have known. After i left the mattress store for the 2nd time, i fell into a terrible financial state. My brand new intrepid was repossessed. My house in jeopardy, narrowly escaping foreclosure. I was working at the gourmet catering firm, loving it, but trying desperately to pay my bills. I never thought i would see the mattress store again, but then i got the call. New owners...owners who had heard about my reputation in sales. "would i come back?" I didn't want to. I was struggling so much financially, cooking, but, i had lost 20 lbs, in sheer hard work and exuberance, and looked forward to each day...creating, tasting, being ALIVE in my work.I knew if i went back i would gain weight again, with the 11 hours a day eating junkfood on the fly, the pains would come back in my neck and shoulders, the association with cutthroat, immoral people would be my life.
I did it anyway. My kids needed more then my excuses "i don't have the money" They needed groceries, not my 101 ways with pasta and a can of tuna fish. I wanted the simple amenities back, cable tv, garbage pickup(my neighbors let me put my garbage with theirs).,
And that little car? I had been driving the company catering van after my car was repo'd. I had to give it back, of course, when i started at that mattress store. So...no money built up in commissions yet, i begged rides from my coworkers and friends. Hard to do, because i don't like to ask anyone for anything. I ended up at a little used car lot. I had to be at work in one hour. "what do you have that runs, for 400.oo dollars?" i asked. The salesman's name was Raz(swear to God). He tried everything to step me up to a car with payments., even with my bad credit. " I don't think i made myself clear", i said." I have 400.00 dollars. Thats it. What can i drive off the lot for that?" It was December 11th, and the snow was gently billowing from the gray clouds. He led me to the back lot, and i grabbed his arm to keep from slipping in my heels. And there it was...a mediocre brown, tiny dodge colt. "I'll TAKE it!" i said. We did the paperwork, Raz shaking his head in disapproval, and then handed me the key. "You do drive stick, right?"
Oh sweet God in Heaven Above! I hadn't driven stick since Todd was a baby....YEARS AGO....."Sure do" I said...i just need a quick lesson.."How do i get in reverse?"..
Twenty minutes left to get to work...I drove that little car right off the lot, with a paper tag in the rear window. I stalled, and humped, and shook all the way to work, but i made it. The brakes were bad, the radiator leaked, and the speedometer only worked in warm weather. But it never left me by the roadside, and always got me where i wanted to go.
It needs a new home, with a guy that will take care of it, fix it, understand it. I bought a 800.00 car, and i have to confess i don't like it much, but, it will do, for now.
The colt's new home? I gave it away, to the young delivery guy at work. He hasn't any money, and he is newly married with a baby. I know everyone thinks i am crazy for not selling it, but, it came to me as a gift...who but the angels could have made a 400.00 car last almost 2 years with no repairs? So a gift it will remain, to be passed on....Later.

5 comments:

Blap said...

Oh lisa! What an awesome story!
you are truley inspiring cancerian
mwauh
xxx

Amadeus said...

What a beautiful - touching story... if I were there, I'd give you the biggest hug you ever had in your life! The heavenly angels are definitely watching over you my dear, you probably have two of them personally assigned exclusively to you. You didn't just say goodbye to a car, you said goodbye to a period in your life that will be forever etched within the deepest confines of your mind. You will be telling your great grandchildren the story of the "Colt" and that snowy gray day in December. The blessings you'll receive for this kind gesture will be immeasurable.. maybe not today or tomorrow, but in God's time; they will be showered upon you when you least expect them, and you need them the most. Why aren't there more "genuinely special" women like you out there in real life? A heart of gold, selfless, dedicated, honest, courageous, loyal, ambitious, creative, dependable, diligent, friendly, generous, reliable, sincere, and charismatic. This is definitely who you are.

Lisa said...

Dear Blap~~ I know the cancerian translation for that Muwah...it is the biggest, sweetest kiss you can get. Don't give up,dear blap...your blessings, your courage, your moving one foot in front of the other, will be rewarded...it's ok to be discouraged, and afraid, and hate the thought of another day...because, tomorrow, always tomorrow....think of the joys, and surprises, that might come your way!.thanks for reading...and replying....xxx Lisa

Lisa said...

amadeus...you make me shy....i don't know what to say....guess i will just keep writing....imagine, ME , at a loss for words.........

Anonymous said...

hmmm.... let's see, who gives a rats ass?