Monday, May 24, 2004

Monday Night~~~~
Saturday night brought more rain, torrential, in fact. The wind screamed, and the maples shook, and i fell asleep watching the lightening play against the darkness.I wasn't happy, anyway, because i tried to make last minute plans to be with Rikk, and it just didn't work out...i had Sunday off, the first in months, and i decided to make the best of it, and just enjoy the day gardening and puttering around the house.
I woke 3 times during the night, to more light shows and rain pelting against the window in a solid gray sheet.I sleep so solid, it must have been quite the storm,because usually nothing wakes me up.
I got up at 7am, and made my coffee. I heard Todd stirring downstairs in the basement, and then muffled curses. The basement flooded. The oriental rugs..saturated. The antique dresser, in a puddle. I wanted to cry. What a way to spend my day off. I felt cheated, pissed, and helpless. I called my friend, looking for a wet-vac, but her basement was flooded, too. I called home depot, looking for a portable sump-pump, but they were already out. So i went to K-mart, and bought a squeege, and squequed all the standing water on my hands and knees. Then i mopped it all, with bleach, to prevent mold. The boys helped., and hung the rugs on the fence. Inside i started to boil, that old, familiar rage against helplessness and aloneness. Where was my protector? where was my father??Because, i think, that's where it all started........

No comments: