Thursday, August 12, 2004

Thursday Morning~~
I woke up at 7am, little oj snuggled up against my hair. It was great quilt weather,in the white down comforter that Rikk bought me so i could sleep "in a cloud"
By 7:45 i was at Meijer's, with the old sparkplug from the lawnmower in my hand. (Wrapped in a coffee filter,haha). A few days ago, i wasn't even sure what a sparkplug looked like. I bought a new one, carefully matching up the numbers. Bought oil that thankfully said LAWNMOWER OIL,(Must have been Mr. Phillips cousin), and a new oil filter. Then i went home, and assembled my tools. A butter knife, a Phillips head screwdriver(just in case) a well, i am not sure of the name, i just took whatever i could find. Coffee in hand, in my happy pants, i knelt by the lawnmower. Sparkplug...hmmnn. that was easy. Air filter...hmmnn..that one was harder. Couldn't quite fiqure out how to put it back together, thank God for the picture on the back of the package. Oil...figured it was like a car...down a half quart...dumped some in.
Moment of truth...three presses of the little red button..annnnnd. VICTORY!!!!!
I smell like oil and gasoline, and my fingernails are black crescent moons...but...Thanks, God...i didn't know i could fix so much stuff....What ELSE can i do, that i didn't think i could???
The Happy Pants? They are my old chef pants, black background with red hot chili peppers and purple eggplants rioting over my curves...The kids beg me not to wear them, Rikk hates them, but, they make me happy.
NO WAY am i going to let the boys mow the lawn, today. Me and my happy pants are going to swagger across the lawn, smiling.
The tv is too dark...hmmmmmm...maybe that is next? Justin just came in, with a big grin on his face..."MOMMY!" how did u fix the lawnmower?, do u want me to mow?"
Not a chance....Later.

2 comments:

Amadeus said...

I can see you smiling with pride, and abounding self esteem from ear to ear-from way over here... congratulations! You are to be commended not only for actually fixing it, but most importantly for having the intestinal fortitude to even attempt such an undertaking all by yourself. I am truly impressed!!

Lisa said...

Dear Amadeus,
Yes, all those things...I am such a girly girl...i can't tell you how good it feels, to FIX something...even though, in my heart, i want a big, strong man to do it for me. I bet that will make my more leftbrained female counterparts want to puke, but, i am what i am. Yet, by fixing things, by standing on my own two feet, perhaps i am going beyond what i thought i wanted in a man....an unpaid handyman? an unpaid gigalo?Perhaps, finding this capability within me will help me to let go of the "helpless" part of me, when it comes to the fixit stuff, and let me concentrate on what is the most needed for me...someone who listens, loves, laughs, and meshes with my odd view of the world.....later.